Words starting with: A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | I | J | K | L | M | N | O | P | Q | R | S | T | U | V | W | X | Y | Z
Definition of Banks
Noun: Banks bangks
- English botanist who accompanied Captain Cook on his first voyage to the Pacific Ocean (1743-1820)
- Sir Joseph Banks
- Sloping land (especially the slope beside a body of water)
"they pulled the canoe up on the bank"; "he sat on the bank of the river and watched the currents"
- A financial institution that accepts deposits and channels the money into lending activities
"that bank holds the mortgage on my home"; "he cashed a check at the bank";
- depository financial institution, banking concern, banking company
- A long ridge or pile
"a huge bank of earth"
- An arrangement of similar objects in a row or in tiers
"he operated a bank of switches"
- A supply or stock held in reserve for future use (especially in emergencies)
- The funds held by a gambling house or the dealer in some gambling games
"he tried to break the bank at Monte Carlo"
- A slope in the turn of a road or track; the outside is higher than the inside in order to reduce the effects of centrifugal force
- cant, camber
- A container (usually with a slot in the top) for keeping money at home
"the coin bank was empty"; "the savings bank was empty";
- savings bank, coin bank, money box
- A building in which the business of banking transacted
"the bank is on the corner of Nassau and Witherspoon";
- bank building
- A flight manoeuvre; aircraft tips laterally about its longitudinal axis (especially in turning)
"the plane went into a steep bank"
- Tip laterally
"the pilot had to bank the aircraft"
- Enclose with a bank
- Do business with a bank or keep an account at a bank
"Where do you bank in this town?"
- Act as the banker in a game or in gambling
- Be in the banking business
- Put into a bank account
"She banks her paycheque every month";
- Cover with ashes so as to control the rate of burning
"bank a fire"
- Have confidence or faith in
"bank on your good education";
- trust, swear, rely
Anagrams containing the word Banks