Words starting with: A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | I | J | K | L | M | N | O | P | Q | R | S | T | U | V | W | X | Y | Z
Definition of Avoid
Verb: avoid u'voyd
- Stay clear from; keep away from; keep out of the way of someone or something
"Her former friends now avoid her"
- Prevent the occurrence of; prevent from happening
"Let's avoid a confrontation";
- debar, forefend, forfend, obviate, deflect, avert, head off, stave off, fend off, ward off
- Refrain from doing something
"He should avoid publishing his wife's memories"
- Refrain from certain foods or beverages
"During Ramadan, Muslims avoid tobacco during the day";
- keep off
- Declare invalid
- invalidate, annul, quash, void, nullify
Anagrams containing the word avoid