Words starting with: A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | I | J | K | L | M | N | O | P | Q | R | S | T | U | V | W | X | Y | Z
Definition of Being
Noun: being bee-ing
- The state or fact of existing
"a point of view gradually coming into being";
- beingness, existence
- A living thing that has (or can develop) the ability to act or function independently
- Have the quality of being; (copula, used with an adjective or a predicate noun)
"John is rich"; "This is not a good answer"
- Be identical to; be someone or something
"The president of the company is John Smith"; "This is my house"
- Occupy a certain position or area; be somewhere
"Where is my umbrella?"; "The toolshed is in the back"; "What is behind this behavior?"
- Have an existence, be extant
"Is there a God?";
- Happen, occur, take place
"I lost my wallet; this was during the visit to my parents' house"; "There was a lot of noise in the kitchen"
- Be identical or equivalent to
"One dollar is 1,000 rubles these days!";
- Form or compose
"This money is my only income"; "The stone wall was the backdrop for the performance";
- constitute, represent, make up, comprise
- Work in a specific place, with a specific subject, or in a specific function
"He is a herpetologist"; "She is our resident philosopher";
- Represent, as of a character on stage
"Derek Jacobi was Hamlet";
- embody, personify
- Spend or use time
"I may be an hour"
- Have life, be alive
"Our great leader is no more";
- To remain unmolested, undisturbed, or uninterrupted -- used only in infinitive form
"let her be"
- Be priced at
Anagrams containing the word being