Words starting with: A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | I | J | K | L | M | N | O | P | Q | R | S | T | U | V | W | X | Y | Z
Definition of Brake
Noun: brake breyk
- A restraint used to slow or stop a vehicle
- Any of various ferns of the genus Pteris having pinnately compound leaves and including several popular houseplants
- Large coarse fern often several feet high; essentially weed ferns; cosmopolitan
- bracken, pasture brake, Pteridium aquilinum
- An area thickly overgrown usually with one kind of plant
- Anything that slows or hinders a process
"she wan not ready to put the brakes on her life with a marriage"; "new legislation will put the brakes on spending"
- (historical) an open four-wheeled horse-drawn carriage
- (driving) stop travelling by applying a brake
"We had to brake suddenly when a chicken crossed the road"
- (driving) cause to stop by applying the brakes
"brake the car before you go into a curve"
Anagrams containing the word brake