Words starting with: A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | I | J | K | L | M | N | O | P | Q | R | S | T | U | V | W | X | Y | Z
Definition of Civil
Adjective: civil si-vul
- Applying to ordinary citizens as contrasted with the military
- Not rude; marked by satisfactory (or especially minimal) adherence to social usages and sufficient but not noteworthy consideration for others
"even if he didn't like them he should have been civil";
- Of or occurring within the state or between or among citizens of the state
"civil affairs"; "civil strife"; "civil disobedience"; "civil branches of government"
- Of or relating to or befitting citizens as individuals
"civil rights"; "civil liberty";
- (of divisions of time) legally recognized in ordinary affairs of life
"the civil calendar"; "a civil day begins at mean midnight"
- Of or in a condition of social order
Anagrams containing the word civil