Words starting with: A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | I | J | K | L | M | N | O | P | Q | R | S | T | U | V | W | X | Y | Z
Definition of Fault
Noun: fault folt [N. Amer], fólt or folt [Brit]
- A wrong action attributable to bad judgment, ignorance or inattention
"I could understand his English in spite of his grammatical faults";
- mistake, error
- An imperfection in an object or machine
"if there are any faults you should send it back to the manufacturer";
- defect, flaw
- The quality of being inadequate or falling short of perfection
"he knew his own faults much better than she did";
- (geology) a crack in the earth's crust resulting from the displacement of one side with respect to the other
"they built it right over a geological fault";
- faulting, geological fault, shift, fracture, break
- (electronics) equipment failure attributable to some defect in a circuit (loose connection or insulation failure or short circuit etc.)
"it took much longer to find the fault than to fix it"
- Responsibility for a bad situation or event
"it was John's fault"
- (sport) a serve that is illegal (e.g., that lands outside the prescribed area)
"he served too many double faults"
- Put or pin the blame on
- Commit a mistake or make an error
Anagrams containing the word fault