Words starting with: A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | I | J | K | L | M | N | O | P | Q | R | S | T | U | V | W | X | Y | Z
Definition of Gauge
Verb: gauge geyj
- Form an estimate of (quantities or time)
"I gauge this chicken to weigh three pounds";
- estimate, approximate, guess, judge
- Rub to a uniform size
- Determine the capacity, volume, or contents of by measurement and calculation
"gauge the wine barrels"
- Measure precisely and against a standard
"the wire is gauged"
- Adapt to a specified measurement
"gauge the instruments"
- Mix in specific proportions
- A measuring instrument for measuring and indicating a quantity such as the thickness of wire or the amount of rain etc.
- gage [N. Amer]
- Accepted or approved instance or example of a quantity or quality against which others are judged or measured or compared
- standard of measurement
- The distance between the rails of a railway or between the wheels of a train
- The thickness of wire
- Diameter of a tube or gun barrel
- bore, caliber [US], calibre [Brit, Cdn]
Anagrams containing the word gauge