Words starting with: A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | I | J | K | L | M | N | O | P | Q | R | S | T | U | V | W | X | Y | Z
Definition of Guard
Noun: guard gaa(r)d
- A person who keeps watch over something or someone
- The person who plays that position on a football team
"the left guard was injured on the play"
- A device designed to prevent injury or accidents
- safety, safety device
- A posture of defence in boxing or fencing
"keep your guard up"
- The person who plays the position of guard on a basketball team
- A military unit serving to protect some place or person
- A precautionary measure warding off impending danger, damage or injury etc.
"we let our guard down";
- precaution, safeguard
- The duty of serving as a sentry
"he was on guard that night";
- guard duty, sentry duty, sentry go
- (American football) a position on the line of scrimmage
"guards must be good blockers"
- A position on a basketball team
- To keep watch over
"there would be men guarding the horses"
- Watch over or shield from danger or harm; protect
"guard my possessions while I'm away";
- Protect against a challenge or attack
"guard that position behind the trees!";
- defend, hold
- Take precautions in order to avoid some unwanted consequence
"guard against becoming too friendly with the staff"; "guard against infection"
Anagrams containing the word guard