Words starting with: A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | I | J | K | L | M | N | O | P | Q | R | S | T | U | V | W | X | Y | Z
Definition of House
Noun: house haws
- A dwelling that serves as living quarters for one or more families
"he has a house on Cape Cod"; "she felt she had to get out of the house"
- The members of a business organization that owns or operates one or more establishments
"he worked for a brokerage house";
- firm, business firm
- The members of a religious community living together
- The audience gathered together in a theatre or cinema
"the house applauded"; "he counted the house"
- An official assembly having legislative powers
"a bicameral legislature has two houses"
- Aristocratic family line
"the House of York"
- Play in which children take the roles of father, mother or children and pretend to interact like adults
"the children were playing house"
- (astrology) one of 12 equal areas into which the zodiac is divided
- sign of the zodiac, star sign, sign, mansion, planetary house
- The management of a gambling house or casino
"the house gets a percentage of every bet"
- A social unit living together
"I waited until the whole house was asleep";
- family, household, home, ménage
- (dramaturgy) a building where theatrical performances or motion-picture shows can be presented
"the house was full";
- theater [US], theatre
- A building in which something is sheltered or located
"they had a large carriage house"
- Contain or cover
"This box houses the gears"
- Provide housing for
"The immigrants were housed in a new development outside the town";
- put up, domiciliate
Anagrams containing the word house