Words starting with: A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | I | J | K | L | M | N | O | P | Q | R | S | T | U | V | W | X | Y | Z
Definition of Remit
Verb: remit (remitted,remitting) ri'mit
- Send (money) in payment
- Hold back to a later time
"let's remit the exam";
- postpone, prorogue, hold over, put over, table [N. Amer], shelve, set back, defer, put off
- Release from (claims, debts, or taxes)
"The taxes were remitted"
- Refer (a matter or legal case) to another committee or authority or court for decision
- remand, send back
"God will remit their sins"
- Make slack as by lessening tension or firmness
- Diminish or abate
"The pain finally remitted"
- The topic that a person, committee, or piece of research is expected to deal with or has authority to deal with
"they set up a group with a remit to suggest ways for strengthening family life";
- responsibility, brief
- (law) the act of remitting (especially the referral of a law case to another court)
- remission, remitment
Anagrams containing the word remit