Words starting with: A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | I | J | K | L | M | N | O | P | Q | R | S | T | U | V | W | X | Y | Z
Definition of Serve
Verb: serve surv
- Act to fulfil a purpose, role, or function
"The tree stump serves as a table"; "The female students served as a control group"; "This table would serve very well"; "His freedom served him well";
- Do duty or hold office; perform a specific function
"He served as head of the department for three years"; "She served in Congress for two terms"
- Contribute or conduce to
"The scandal served to increase his popularity"
- Be used by; as of a utility
"The garage served to shelter his horses"; "The sewage plant served the neighbouring communities";
- Give a portion of food or drink
"I served him three times, and after that he helped himself";
- Provide (usually but not necessarily food)
"We serve meals for the homeless"; "The entertainers served up a lively show";
- serve up, dish out, dish up, dish
- Devote (part of) one's life or efforts to, as of countries, institutions, or ideas
"She served the art of music"; "He served the church"; "serve the country"
- Promote, benefit, or be useful or beneficial to
"Art serves commerce"; "Their interests are served"; "The lake serves recreation"; "The President's wisdom has served the country well";
- serve well
- Spend time in prison or in a labour camp
"He served six years for embezzlement";
- Work for or be a servant to
"May I serve you?"; "The minister served the King for many years";
- attend to, wait on, attend, assist
- Deliver a warrant or summons to someone
"He was served by the sheriff";
- process, swear out
- Be sufficient; be adequate, either in quality or quantity
"Nothing else will serve";
- suffice, do, answer
- Do military service
"She served in Vietnam"; "My sons never served, because they are short-sighted"
- Mate with
"male animals serve the females for breeding purposes";
- (court game) put the ball into play
"It was Agassi's turn to serve"
- (sport) a stroke that puts the ball in play
"his powerful serves won the game";
Anagrams containing the word serve