Words starting with: A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | I | J | K | L | M | N | O | P | Q | R | S | T | U | V | W | X | Y | Z
Definition of Sound
Noun: sound sawnd
- The particular auditory effect produced by a given cause
"the sound of rain on the roof"; "the beautiful sound of music"
- The subjective sensation of hearing something
"he strained to hear the faint sounds";
- auditory sensation
- Mechanical vibrations transmitted by an elastic medium
"falling trees make a sound in the forest even when no one is there to hear them"
- The sudden occurrence of an audible event
"the sound awakened them"
- The audible part of a transmitted signal
"they always raise the sound for commercials";
- (phonetics) an individual sound unit of speech without concern as to whether or not it is a phoneme of some language
- phone, speech sound
- A narrow channel of the sea joining two larger bodies of water
- A large ocean inlet or deep bay
"the main body of the sound ran parallel to the coast"
- Appear in a certain way
"This sounds interesting"
- Make a certain noise or sound
"She sounded 'Mmmmm'";
- Give off a certain sound or sounds
"This record sounds scratchy"
- Announce by means of a sound
"sound the alarm"
- Utter with vibrating vocal chords
- voice, vocalize, vocalise [Brit]
- Cause to sound
"sound the bell"; "sound a certain note"
- Measure the depth of (a body of water) with a sounding line
- Financially secure and safe
"sound investments"; "a sound economy"
- Exercising or showing good judgment
"a sound approach to the problem"; "sound advice"; "no sound explanation for his decision";
- healthy, intelligent, levelheaded, level-headed
- In good condition; free from defect, damage or decay
"a sound timber"; "the wall is sound"; "a sound foundation"
- In excellent physical condition
"a sound mind in a sound body";
- Logically valid
"a sound argument";
- reasoned, well-grounded
- Having legal efficacy or force
"a sound title to the property";
- legal, effectual
- Free from moral defect
"a man of sound character"
- (of sleep) deep and complete
"a sound sleeper";
- heavy, profound, wakeless
"a sound thrashing"
Anagrams containing the word sound