Words starting with: A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | I | J | K | L | M | N | O | P | Q | R | S | T | U | V | W | X | Y | Z
Definition of Grain
Noun: grain greyn
- A relatively small granular particle of a substance
"a grain of sand"; "a grain of sugar"
- Foodstuff prepared from the starchy grains of cereal grasses
- food grain, cereal
- The side of leather from which the hair has been removed
- A weight unit used for pearls or diamonds: 50 mg or 1/4 carat
- metric grain
- 1/60 dram; equals an avoirdupois grain or 64.799 milligrams
- 1/7000 pound; equals a troy grain or 64.799 milligrams
- Dry seed-like fruit produced by the cereal grasses: e.g. wheat, barley, Indian corn
- A cereal grass
"wheat is a grain that is grown in Kansas"
- The smallest possible unit of anything
"there was a grain of truth in what he said"; "he does not have a grain of sense"
- The direction, texture, or pattern of fibers found in wood or leather or stone or in a woven fabric
"saw the board across the grain"
- The physical composition of something (especially with respect to the size and shape of the small constituents of a substance)
"sand of a fine grain"; "a stone of coarse grain";
- Thoroughly work in
"His hands were grained with dirt";
- ingrain, engrain
- Paint (a surface) to make it look like stone or wood
- Form into grains
- Become granular
Anagrams containing the word grain