Words starting with: A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | I | J | K | L | M | N | O | P | Q | R | S | T | U | V | W | X | Y | Z
Definition of Shell
Noun: shell shel
- Ammunition consisting of a cylindrical metal casing containing an explosive charge and a projectile; fired from a large gun
- The material that forms the hard outer covering of many animals
- Hard outer covering or case of certain organisms such as arthropods and turtles
- carapace, cuticle, shield
- The hard usually fibrous outer layer of some fruits especially nuts
- The exterior covering of a bird's egg
- A rigid covering that envelops an object
"the satellite is covered with a smooth shell of ice"
- A very light narrow racing boat
- racing shell
- The housing or outer covering of something
- case, casing
- A metal sheathing of uniform thickness (such as the shield attached to an artillery piece to protect the gunners)
- plate, scale
- The hard largely calcareous covering of a mollusc or a brachiopod
- Use explosives on
"The enemy has been shelling us all day";
- Create by using explosives
"shell a passage through the mountain";
- Fall out of the pod or husk
"The corn shelled"
- Hit the pitches of hard and regularly
"He shelled the pitcher for eight runs in the first inning"
- Look for and collect shells by the seashore
- Come out better in a competition, race, or conflict
- beat, beat out, crush, trounce, vanquish
- Remove from its shell or outer covering
"shell the legumes"; "shell mussels"
- Remove the husks from
- She will
"she'll do okay on her own"
Anagrams containing the word shell