Words starting with: A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | I | J | K | L | M | N | O | P | Q | R | S | T | U | V | W | X | Y | Z
Definition of Scale
Noun: scale skeyl
- An ordered reference standard
"judging on a scale of 1 to 10";
- scale of measurement, graduated table, ordered series
- Relative magnitude
"they entertained on a grand scale"
- The ratio between the size of something and a representation of it
"the scale of the map"; "the scale of the model"
- A specialized leaf or bract that protects a bud or catkin
- scale leaf
- A thin flake of dead epidermis shed from the surface of the skin
- scurf, exfoliation
- (music) a series of notes differing in pitch according to a specific scheme (usually within an octave)
- musical scale
- A measuring instrument for weighing; shows amount of mass
- weighing machine
- An indicator having a graduated sequence of marks
- A metal sheathing of uniform thickness (such as the shield attached to an artillery piece to protect the gunners)
- plate, shell
- A flattened rigid plate forming part of the body covering of many animals
- Measure by or as if by a scale
"This bike scales only 25 pounds"
- Pattern, make, regulate, set, measure, or estimate according to some rate or standard
- Take by attacking with scaling ladders
"The troops scaled the walls of the fort"
- Reach the highest point of
"We scaled the Mont Blanc";
- Climb up by means of a ladder
- Remove the scales from
- Measure with or as if with scales
"scale the gold"
- Size or measure according to a scale
"This model must be scaled down"
Anagrams containing the word scale